Life can’t prepare you for parenting. It’s the final exam, homework, lecture, and mid-term all rolled into one.
Other declarations that have taken me by surprise:
* SURPRISE, Mama! I got an ice cream sandwich for breakfast! [Gather your attack quickly.] Oh look, I have one for you too! [Well, in that case…]
* [From the bathroom] You better not come in here. You’ll be mad! . . . . . CANNONBAAAAAAAAAALL!
* GASP! Mama, you used to be a Princess?!?!? [note to self: remove wedding portrait from master bedroom immediately]
* Hey, Mommy. Look! I made footprints with my tee-tee!
* Mom, do you want me to put this booger in my mouth? Because I did this morning, and it was really yummy!
* Is that Jesus? [note to self: a bearded Zach Galifianakis in the movie The Hangover should not be causing this much confusion. Plus, pretty sure Jesus never strapped a baby named Carlos to his chest in a baby backpack. That’s not what he meant by “Let the little children come unto me.”]
And while we’re at it… Things I Never Thought My Adult Self Would Say Out Loud
* Please don’t lick me when you hug me.
* Yes, you have to flush your poop. No, we’re not saving it.
* If you make me late to work this morning, I’m going to call Santa and tell him to forget Christmas!
* If you aim that sword at your brother one more time, I’m going to call Santa and tell him…
* If you whine about your spelling list again, I’m going to call Santa…
* NO! The tooth fairy would NEVER forget about you! She’s so clever! She’s playing with you. Now, think about a place in the house where she knows you’ll be able to find your tooth money. Somewhere you go every morning. …the kitchen counter? YES! I bet it’s still there.
* Please don’t lick my leg again.
*No, I don’t think the baby likes wedgies.